There is an emanation from the heart

which cannot be described,

but is immediately felt and puts

the stranger at his ease.

~Washington Irving


Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life.
It turns what we have into enough...

.........and more.

It turns denial into acceptance,
chaos to order, confusion to clarity.

It can turn a meal into a feast,

a house into a home,

a stranger into a friend.

~Melody Beattie


Don't be satisfied with stories,

how things have gone with others.

Unfold your own myth.
~Rumi


May my life be like a great

hospitable tree, and may

weary wanderers find in

me a rest.

~John Henry Jowett


Monday, 22 February 2016

Winter Walks and A Heart Full of Happiness



Even though it's very cold in the winter, we still go for walks every day--sometimes three times a day.


This is me, Jack, lying on Mummy's coat, patiently waiting for our morning walk. The breakfast clean-up takes forever! Sometimes I have trouble waiting, so I nip at Mummy's ankles to hurry her up. She does not like that (but it does make her go faster).
Max and I FINALLY have our leads on
and start our walk down Mansfield Road.
 As we pass by, the clock tower chimes and sings,
"One, two, three, four, out the door....
Five, six seven, eight, past the gate....

Nine, ten, and eleven, the parks will be heaven!".... 
So Max and I go a little bit faster....

Once we're in the park I love to
run and run, and we play tug of
war and chase the ring.

When I run and play on the rugby pitch, I
get nice and muddy. I like to show Mummy
how muddy I am so I jump up on her,
that way she can be muddy too! The muddier
the merrier--and we're very merry.

Mummy always has to stop and look
at pretty flowers. She says funny
words like 'oooooooh' and 'aaaaaaah',
and that I'm only to look at the flowers
and not to ever play in them. I try to
listen but sometimes it's hard--flowers
make such nice playmates.
The daffodils have sunny, happy little
faces so I smile back and say, 'hello!'.

Sometimes we walk in Holywell Cemetery
where I love to dig in the Yew Tree Forest.
The big trees are very gentle and soft, a
nd
are happy to keep the rain off of my fur.

There are so many paths to run down
and I like how my ears blow in the wind.
This was on a sunny day before I had my haircut.
Back then I would get very muddy and be very
merry. I'm glad that my fur is growing back.

I was very brave and looked over the stone wall
where the deer jump through to their house
in the thicket of trees. So many lovely animals
 share Holywell Cemetery--deer and
badgers and foxes. I wish they would stay
and play with me one day. What fun we'd have.

Mummy always carries lots of treats in her
pockets for when we're especially good.

A little robin red-breast stopped to tweet
hello. The song he sang told us that he's
a tiny bird with a big heart full of happiness

I decided to carry this stick home with
me. It will look very nice in our kitchen.

Sometimes it's almost dark at the end of our
walk, so we hurry home for tea. Mummy has
Earl Grey and I have my biscuits and sardines.

Then I curl up and go to sleep. I dream about the
Yew Tree Forest, sunny daffodils that smile and
say hello, and a tiny bird with a heart full
of happiness.



7 comments:

  1. Dear Carrie: You must write a book! A children's book (though I hate categories!), but that's the kind I mean. Madeleine L'Engle said once when asked if she wrote for children. "I write for People! Aren't children people?!" I like that and have made it my mantra to myself because of what I am writing. Thank you again for another bright spot on a Monday! Jane xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome--Jack makes it very easy for me--it writes itself. And....I am working on a children's book around Jack--mostly just for our grandchildren, if for no one else. Madeleine L. and Clive Staples L. both knew that you could hide some pretty deep magic in stories for children -- and that it's probably the best way to write about it. xxoo

      Delete
    2. Absolutely true! That is what I am trying to do with my stories, too. Great success with your "Jack" book! I suspect it will be so good it will go well beyond your grandchildren. Keep me informed! Jane xoxo

      Delete
  2. Once again I find myself agreeing with Jane. I think you'd make a wonderful writer. Your blog posts always bring a smile to my face - especially on rainy days such as today. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it--and the book will be all in good time..... :-) xxCarrieoo

      Delete
  3. Hi Carrie! Fabulous post, gorgeous photos. Jack, you are just so darn cute. My little Tucker would love to take a walk with you! :)
    Blessings to all. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'd sure love to have you and Tucker join us--if not for that pesky Atlantic Ocean!!
      Have a wonderful day. xxCarrieoo

      Delete