There is an emanation from the heart

which cannot be described,

but is immediately felt and puts

the stranger at his ease.

~Washington Irving


Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life.
It turns what we have into enough...

.........and more.

It turns denial into acceptance,
chaos to order, confusion to clarity.

It can turn a meal into a feast,

a house into a home,

a stranger into a friend.

~Melody Beattie


Don't be satisfied with stories,

how things have gone with others.

Unfold your own myth.
~Rumi


May my life be like a great

hospitable tree, and may

weary wanderers find in

me a rest.

~John Henry Jowett


Saturday, 24 October 2015

Jack's Excellent Adventure at Christ Church Meadow

 Mum loves to walk around Christ Church meadow
and she promised me that one day, when I'm more
grown-up, she'd take me with her--and that 
day was today! I must be almost all grown up now.

Here I am at the start of our walk.
I promised to be good and stay close.

You can see why Mummy loves walking here
so much--it has a beautiful path with lots of
trees on one side and a beautiful little river
on the other side. The trees hang over the
river like they're saying 'hello friend'.

The funny flat boat that went by is called a punt and
 I think the people on it loved the river and the trees.

There were so many things to look at and smell and 
taste, that I didn't know what to do first. I stopped and 
smelled the breeze and I liked how it felt on my fur.


This was the first time I had seen ducks and geese
up close. I wondered why they like the water so much 
because I sure don't--I hate my baths! It was fun to 
watch them swim and fly and honk and dive in the water.



Another boat went by with some school boys rowing,
I wonder if they'll be in the Olympics one day?


Of course Mum stopped to take lots of 
pictures--and I was very, very patient.

That's Christ Church College in the distance.


 I stopped to look back at Oxford--
those are called 'the dreaming spires'.


More dreaming spires.

After awhile I was very brave and walked
ahead of Mummy--I am very grown-up now.


It was fun to go off the path too, because there 
were squirrels everywhere. Mummy said that
they're getting ready for winter, storing nuts.


Mum took this picture of me talking to my Guardian Angel
 who helped keep me safe on my first grown-up walk.

We came to a little bridge where the small
river flows into a bigger river that goes
all the way to London--that's a long way.


The big river had boats on it and even 
more geese than the little river. There
 were swans too. Mummy said that all the 
swans on the big river belong to the Queen.



There were squirrels up in all of the big 
chestnut trees finding nuts to save for winter.


Then I saw them--cows! Big cows! With big horns!


I didn't know we had cows in Oxford--but there they were! 


I was a little bit scared of them, but mostly curious.
I barked to say hello but they just kept eating grass.


Then we were on another path and I could
tell it was the path that was the direction of 
home. By now I was feeling very, very brave.


This was the last path before we left the
meadow, so I made sure to stop and 
smell every single thing--everything.


That's Magdalen college in the background--
it's a 'dreaming spire'--and there's the field 
where Daddy played rugby and footie when 
he was a little boy at school in Oxford.


Mum took some more pictures of pretty flowers
growing out of a stone wall..............


...........and of Merton College.


Mummy said it was time to leave the meadow
 so we walked back home, past Merton College.
 We stopped to listen to someone playing
 the organ in the chapel, it sounded so pretty.


When we finally got back home to Holywell 
Street, I laid down in the kitchen and fell asleep--
I was so tired! But I hope Mummy takes me back
 to Christ Church meadow again soon because.......


............I  have a new coat for winter adventures.


I wonder if I'll get to play in snow this winter? 
I was born in the spring, so I sure hope so!

Snowy Merton playing fields and Christ Church Meadow.

*For anyone who isn't familiar with our little Jack, he's a Jack Russell and Bichon Frise' mix--a happy accident. He's named for Oxford's most beloved 'Jack', C.S. Lewis. He's 7 months old at the moment and you can read more about him, and his excellent adventures, here and here. Thanks for stopping by.  Carrie

3 comments:

  1. What a lovely time you had, Jack! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant to say, earlier, what a delightful "story". You need to write a children's book, through Jack's eyes!! It would be a real hit!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a friend who is threatening to tie me down until I write that children's book--so I'm working on it! Thanks for the encouragement. xxxooo

      Delete