There is an emanation from the heart

which cannot be described,

but is immediately felt and puts

the stranger at his ease.

~Washington Irving


Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life.
It turns what we have into enough...

.........and more.

It turns denial into acceptance,
chaos to order, confusion to clarity.

It can turn a meal into a feast,

a house into a home,

a stranger into a friend.

~Melody Beattie


Don't be satisfied with stories,

how things have gone with others.

Unfold your own myth.
~Rumi


May my life be like a great

hospitable tree, and may

weary wanderers find in

me a rest.

~John Henry Jowett


Sunday, 22 March 2015

At Long Last Spring

"I love spring anywhere, but if I could
choose, I would always greet it in a garden."
~Ruth Stout


As much as I love our life in Britain, after living here permanently for seven years, I still struggle with the long and very dark winters.  In the deepest part of winter, when it's dark even before four o'clock, by the time I'm done with my chores and can get out, it's already dusky and I've missed any hope of sun or light--and I'd just settle for a little light.  So when spring comes along, I'm almost giddy and drunk with all the light.


"In spring, at the end of the day,
you should smell like dirt."
~Margaret Atwood

I much prefer the outdoors and gardening to any indoor pursuits, so I'm a happy person when spring arrives and my nails are dirtier than a South Dakota farmer.  Once the days start to lengthen, I'm either digging and planting, planning my digging and planting, or thinking about digging and planting.




The first place spring makes an appearance for us is on our little, brick, back terrace, just outside our kitchen door.  It catches the morning light for an after-breakfast cup of coffee, and then catches the late afternoon sun, perfect for an afternoon tea or an evening glass of Pimm's.  It's where I first greet spring--and I'm so very glad it's here.

"Every spring is the only spring--
a perpetual astonishment."
~Ellis Peters




No comments:

Post a Comment