There is an emanation from the heart

which cannot be described,

but is immediately felt and puts

the stranger at his ease.

~Washington Irving


Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life.
It turns what we have into enough...

.........and more.

It turns denial into acceptance,
chaos to order, confusion to clarity.

It can turn a meal into a feast,

a house into a home,

a stranger into a friend.

~Melody Beattie


Don't be satisfied with stories,

how things have gone with others.

Unfold your own myth.
~Rumi


May my life be like a great

hospitable tree, and may

weary wanderers find in

me a rest.

~John Henry Jowett


Monday, 29 September 2014

A B&B Morning






In my previous life, before moving to the U.K., I was a registered nurse in a busy hospital, on a very busy ward. My day started at 7am sharp and I never knew from day to day where my nursing skills were going to be used. It could be pediatrics, oncology, medical/surgical, the cardiac unit, or rehab. Every day was different and you hit the ground running.  Now, even though my day starts about 7am, my work and life couldn't be more different.  There's a gentle routine to the day, that's both predictable and comforting.


Now instead of fluorescent hospital lighting,
soft lamps light my mornings.



The last of summer flowers and 
changing leaves fill my view.





No more stethoscopes and scrubs.
Kettles and toasters are now the tools of 
my trade.  Every B&B needs good ones, 
lightning quick and very stylish.


"Have nothing in your house that you do not
know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
~William Morris

My nursing scrubs were given away
and replaced with cheery aprons
and Oxford bicycles.




Instead of life and death decisions, 
my biggest decision of the morning 
might be what beautiful teapot to use.



Now my mornings are filled with lovely smells,
bacon and coffee and toast and tea and eggs.



I pick fresh rosemary and parsley 
before breakfast...............



.......I check on the progress of the fall 
flowers in our new bike basket that  
will grace the front of the house.........


......and I double-check the time 
on the Harris Manchester clock
tower as I snip the herbs.



And then when breakfast is over I can 
stop and catch my breath, something I 
never was able to do much as a nurse, 
so it's something I savor each and 
every morning, my B&B morning.


"We keep moving forward, opening new doors,
and doing new things because we're curious
and curiosity leads us down new paths."
~Walt Disney



No comments:

Post a Comment