There is an emanation from the heart

which cannot be described,

but is immediately felt and puts

the stranger at his ease.

~Washington Irving


Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life.
It turns what we have into enough...

.........and more.

It turns denial into acceptance,
chaos to order, confusion to clarity.

It can turn a meal into a feast,

a house into a home,

a stranger into a friend.

~Melody Beattie


Don't be satisfied with stories,

how things have gone with others.

Unfold your own myth.
~Rumi


May my life be like a great

hospitable tree, and may

weary wanderers find in

me a rest.

~John Henry Jowett


Friday, 27 June 2014

Six Years On

"I sit in my garden, gazing upon a beauty 
that cannot gaze upon itself.  
And I find sufficient purpose for my day."  
~ Robert Brault

Six years ago last week Max and I (and a 40 foot container), arrived in Oxford to settle in permanently.  There have been so many changes in the six years and our garden is one of them.  Very slowly over the six years it's been turned into our haven of peace and calm . There are a few weeds in the lawn and it doesn't come close to rivalling so many of the perfect English gardens I've admired over the years, but it's our sanctuary set right in the heart of Oxford.

This is what I inherited that summer of 2008...............




And now in 2014.............
Stone steps leading up into the garden.
The stone steps that lead into the garden are left from the cottages that were part of No. 14 Holywell up until the 1920's, when they were torn down.  Nearly every time I dig, I find beautiful pieces of transferware pottery left behind and have a little collection gathering in my summerhouse.

St. Francis still stands watch.

Max keeping a watchful eye on squirrels and birds.
The tower of Harris Manchester College is through the trees
in the upper right hand corner.
It's more difficult to see in the summer
through all the leaves,
but the beautiful new clock tower
of Harris Manchester rings out on the hour.
A Cotswold stone bench and bird bath,
 found in Lower Slaughter.
A view of New College from the garden.

Picnic spot.
"In search of my mother's garden,
I found my own."
~ Alice Walker




"I don't like formal gardens.
I like wild nature.  It's just wilderness
instinct in me, I guess."
~ Walt Disney

The summerhouse came with
the garden.








No comments:

Post a Comment