There is an emanation from the heart

which cannot be described,

but is immediately felt and puts

the stranger at his ease.

~Washington Irving


Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life.
It turns what we have into enough...

.........and more.

It turns denial into acceptance,
chaos to order, confusion to clarity.

It can turn a meal into a feast,

a house into a home,

a stranger into a friend.

~Melody Beattie


Don't be satisfied with stories,

how things have gone with others.

Unfold your own myth.
~Rumi


May my life be like a great

hospitable tree, and may

weary wanderers find in

me a rest.

~John Henry Jowett


Thursday, 22 August 2013

A Small Act of Kindness

No act of kindness, no matter how small,
is ever wasted.    ~Aesop

Holywell Bed and Breakfast is a traditional English b&b.  We're different than a guest house or an inn, because Stuart and I live in our b&b, it's our home.  Welcoming perfect strangers into your home could be fraught with peril, but I can happily say that 99.9999% of our guests are lovely, honest, and a pleasure to host.  Which of course leaves that 0.0001%.


Last week one of the 0.0001% showed up and when that happens, it can shake your faith in humanity.  I won't go into the gory details of how they tried to sneak a second occupant into what was booked as a single room, or the condition they left the room and bathroom.  Let's just say I was ready to get on the next plane home.

BUT the morning they checked out, I received this email, which shored up my flagging spirits and stopped me from getting on a plane back to the U.S.:

Good Day
I was recently in Oxford on holiday and came across your B and B place while I was busy exploring the city.  Just wanted to send you an email and say I was quite impressed with the look of your place.  If it's as well kept inside as it is on the outside then it must be quite a good place to stay.

I've attached a photo I took of your front entrance as I was walking past.  
This is probably one of my favourite photos from my trip.
Best regards,



So thank you kind stranger, you made my day!

Constant kindness can accomplish much.  As the sun makes the ice melt, kindness causes misunderstanding, mistrust, and hostility to evaporate.
~Albert Schweitzer

No comments:

Post a Comment