There is an emanation from the heart

which cannot be described,

but is immediately felt and puts

the stranger at his ease.

~Washington Irving


Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life.
It turns what we have into enough...

.........and more.

It turns denial into acceptance,
chaos to order, confusion to clarity.

It can turn a meal into a feast,

a house into a home,

a stranger into a friend.

~Melody Beattie


Don't be satisfied with stories,

how things have gone with others.

Unfold your own myth.
~Rumi


May my life be like a great

hospitable tree, and may

weary wanderers find in

me a rest.

~John Henry Jowett


Saturday, 27 October 2012

North Winds, Winter Flowers, and a Warm Fire


Turl Street, Oxford
Today is the first clear and sunny day we've had for awhile, so I've been desperately trying to get my winter flowers planted.  Unfortunately, there's a bone-chilling wind blowing right off the North Sea, down through Scotland and the Midlands, and right through the streets of Oxford, which act like wind tunnels.  If you've ever walked down Turl Street when the wind is blowing, especially at the High Street end, you'll know exactly what I mean.

Stuart's fire and my chair.


Packing window boxes with freezing cold soil is a chilly business.  I've managed to get most of the planting done though, in between running back into the house to get warm, drink something hot, and then back out into the wind again.  Luckily Stuart lit his first fire of the season this morning, so I can sit by his fire--and maybe my toes will finally warm up.



Tonight we turn our clocks back--no more British Summer Time.  I think we're ready for the dark, English winter.  There's a bunker full of coal out back, logs that Stuart chopped from his Nan's garden, winter pansies planted, chai tea in the cupboard, boots by the back door..........and lots and lots of light bulbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment