There is an emanation from the heart

which cannot be described,

but is immediately felt and puts

the stranger at his ease.

~Washington Irving


Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life.
It turns what we have into enough...

.........and more.

It turns denial into acceptance,
chaos to order, confusion to clarity.

It can turn a meal into a feast,

a house into a home,

a stranger into a friend.

~Melody Beattie


Don't be satisfied with stories,

how things have gone with others.

Unfold your own myth.
~Rumi


May my life be like a great

hospitable tree, and may

weary wanderers find in

me a rest.

~John Henry Jowett


Thursday, 20 September 2012

I Only Went Out for a Walk


I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till 
sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.   ~John Muir

The path around Christ Church meadow,
which meanders along the River Cherwell.
August 16, 2012
Yesterday by four o'clock I felt very out of sorts, restless, and scattered.  The glow of the "happy and glorious" Olympics has been waning every time I've watched the BBC Six O'Clock news and real life has begun to creep back in.  

It's no secret that, having lived most of my life under the wide open (and blue) skies of the western United States, I find city life difficult and the Oxford spires, as beautiful as they are, can feel a bit claustrophobic at times.  This means that Christ Church meadow and I are old and very dear friends.

As I turn right off the High Street, and onto Rose Lane, it doesn't take long for my breathing to slow and my mind to still, so yesterday's restlessness dissolved the minute I hit the path, it's Cotswold limestone glowing gold in the late afternoon light.  

All this hurrying will soon be over.
Only when we tarry do we touch the holy.
~Rainer Maria Rilke

As I become more quiet, Max of course becomes more animated--chasing squirrels and ducks and geese.  He wasn't too happy as I stopped along the way to take pictures, but he begrudgingly gave me a few minutes here and there.  Max was also patient as I slowed our walk down to my heartbeat and by the time we were back on Holywell Street, surrounded by the spires again, we were both calm instead of restless and serene instead of scattered.

We have forgotten what rocks and plants still know -- 
we have forgotten how to be, to be still, to be ourselves, 
to be where life is here and now.
                                                  ~Eckhart Tolle 














Your days are short here; this is the last of your springs.  And now in the serenity and quiet of this lovely place, touch the depths of truth,  feel the hem of Heaven.  You will go away with old, good friends.  And don't forget when you leave, why you came.    ~Adlai E. Stevenson

            Take rest; a field that has rested gives a bountiful crop.   ~Ovid

1 comment:

  1. Hi Carrie, lovely to visit your blog again and see this new layout, looks great. I love this post, too - I can also relate to that scattered, restless feeling that nature somehow manages to clear.
    I have some exciting news - I'm coming to Oxford! I was accepted to do my Masters in history and move there late September. Very excited for these beautiful walks that Oxford has. We will have to meet up for a relaxing walk and cup of tea.
    Hope you are well, and Max & Stuart too.
    Kate x

    ReplyDelete