There is an emanation from the heart

which cannot be described,

but is immediately felt and puts

the stranger at his ease.

~Washington Irving


Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life.
It turns what we have into enough...

.........and more.

It turns denial into acceptance,
chaos to order, confusion to clarity.

It can turn a meal into a feast,

a house into a home,

a stranger into a friend.

~Melody Beattie


Don't be satisfied with stories,

how things have gone with others.

Unfold your own myth.
~Rumi


May my life be like a great

hospitable tree, and may

weary wanderers find in

me a rest.

~John Henry Jowett


Sunday, 22 July 2012

Sunday Morning






It's Sunday morning which means an empty house.......and no less than 13 loads of laundry waiting to be done.








It wouldn't be so bad if my laundry room looked like this...................








...........or like this, but that would only be in my dreams.





Sadly my laundry room more resembles this.....  






............or this ~ well, at least that's how it feels.  My actual laundry room measures exactly 33 inches wide, so 13 loads of bedding and towels will pour out of the door like a colorful mudslide.



It's so narrow that in order to load the machine with a floor full of laundry in the way, I have to rely on past ballet training and yoga flexibility.  I've managed to perfect a laundry arabesque to load the machine and then a pivet turn with a plie' and a releve' to load the dryer.


My reading corner in
our summerhouse.

The good news is that we have no guests for the next two days--which gives us and the house a breather, as well as a chance to plow through the 13 loads of washing and drying.  It will be a quiet day and it will follow the quiet rhythm of the washer twirling and the dryer tumbling along.  In the midst of the13 load mound, I have lovely flowers to water and tidy, birds and hedgehogs to feed, and a garden sanctuary for reading in until the next load needs to be arabesqued into place.  Even 13 loads of laundry can be quieted down to the gentle pace of a summer afternoon.

"By letting go it all gets done."  
"Do your work, then step back.  The only path to serenity."
                                            ~Lao Tzu


My other favorite reading spot--under the apple tree.
It's also where I'll do my grocery shopping for the
coming week.  With the help of my iPad & wireless internet,
all the groceries we need will be delivered to our front door
on Tuesday morning.  Grocery shopping has never been so relaxing.


What am I reading this afternoon? It's called "A Discovery of Witches" and it's a great read. The story is set in Oxford and it follows an academic and historian who also happens to be a witch--and she lives in New College, right across the street from us.  It's fun to read a book whose character walks where I walk every single day.  It also has me on the look-out for witches, daemons, and vampires, which apparently Oxford is riddled with!

1 comment:

  1. What fantastic reading spots! :)

    I'm currently halfway through the sequel to Discovery of Witches. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete