There is an emanation from the heart

which cannot be described,

but is immediately felt and puts

the stranger at his ease.

~Washington Irving


Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life.
It turns what we have into enough...

.........and more.

It turns denial into acceptance,
chaos to order, confusion to clarity.

It can turn a meal into a feast,

a house into a home,

a stranger into a friend.

~Melody Beattie


Don't be satisfied with stories,

how things have gone with others.

Unfold your own myth.
~Rumi


May my life be like a great

hospitable tree, and may

weary wanderers find in

me a rest.

~John Henry Jowett


Tuesday, 24 July 2012

Summer at Last

  Holywell Cemetery July 24th, 2012
Perfect blue skies, like you find in the western United States,
are a rare thing in Britain.  I'm loving it, but it's making me a
little homesick too.

After struggling through record rains, my flowers are finally starting to flourish. For  awhile the moss was threatening to take over our back terrace for good and I had visions of harvesting our own peat moss to burn in the fireplace over the winter.  I've also been battling legions of slugs and snails and thought they were going to win the war, but I believe they're now vanquished, and peace has come to the garden at last.



The Merton Room, at the back of the house, looks down onto our
back terrace and these flowers.





1 comment:

  1. Wow! You really have a green thumb. Everything is just gorgeous. In this Texas heat (100 degrees today)I am happy if the grass is green You have a wonderful way of creating or finding beauty xoxo

    ReplyDelete