There is an emanation from the heart

which cannot be described,

but is immediately felt and puts

the stranger at his ease.

~Washington Irving


Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life.
It turns what we have into enough...

.........and more.

It turns denial into acceptance,
chaos to order, confusion to clarity.

It can turn a meal into a feast,

a house into a home,

a stranger into a friend.

~Melody Beattie


Don't be satisfied with stories,

how things have gone with others.

Unfold your own myth.
~Rumi


May my life be like a great

hospitable tree, and may

weary wanderers find in

me a rest.

~John Henry Jowett


Monday, 30 July 2012

I come into the peace of wild things who do not tax their lives with forethought of grief.... For a time I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.  ~Wendell Berry, 
"The Peace of Wild Things"



Monday.......

It's 4pm and my kitchen still looks like this.  Usually I have breakfast cleared and the entire kitchen spic and span by about 10am, but not today.  I still have breakfast dishes stacked on the counter, groceries waiting to be put away, and flowers that need water and vases.

It all may look a  little artfully arranged, but this is
exactly how things have been
since 9:30 this morning, when we cleared the breakfast room.



It's not a case of the Monday Blues really--for some reason I've just spent the day doing anything but the big kitchen clean-up.  I keep finding better and far more enjoyable things to do.  Right after breakfast I was out in our back garden, doing a clean-up of my **summerhouse sanctuary.  It was so much more fun than cleaning the kitchen.

Then it was off for a walk in Holywell Cemetery with Max and Stuart, enjoying the summer roses and the **'Constable Clouds'.



After our walk, the Sainsbury's grocery order arrived at 11am sharp.  It's still scattered around the kitchen because it was time for my Monday afternoon walk to the bank and **Marks and Spencer for this week's flowers and tonight's dinner........and speaking of dinner, I better get started on it now.  I'm expecting a very hungry tour guide to come walking through the door at any minute.  




I'm sure he'll wonder (out loud) why the kitchen looks exactly the same as when he left this morning but, Stuart being  Stuart, he won't complain.  He'll roll up his sleeves and chip in.  As long as dinner's in the oven and the Olympics are on in the background, he's a happy man--and will be glad that I've had a happy day avoiding the Monday morning dishes.

7PM Update...............
Yes, the dishes are done, the groceries put away, fresh flowers on the breakfast tables, laundry moving along, and Stuart is well-fed--and of course watching the Olympics.  Dirty dishes sat all day long but the world kept spinning and the sun kept shining.  I don't often let things go all day like I did today, but sometimes you have to go with the flow of the day.......For a time I rested in the grace of the world, and was free.


Glossary ~ for my friends back in the United States and across the globe.

**Constable Clouds ~ John Constable was an English Romantic painter during the late 18th century & early 19th century.  He was from Suffolk and painted landscapes mostly of that area, feeling "I should paint my own places best."  He was one of Britain's best cloud painters, using the sky as the landscape as much as the land, believing that the sky was "the keynote......the chief organ of sentiment."


**Summerhouse ~ In Britain a summerhouse is any little shelter or small building for relaxing in warm weather or on rainy summer days.  It's usually prefabricated and simple, no electricity or plumbing--just a place to relax on a summer evening--or in my case reading in, Spring through the Autumn.


*Marks and Spencer (or M&S or Marks & Sparks) ~ One of Britain's oldest retailers and up until 2002 made a policy of selling only British goods.  At the moment they're fighting to remain relevant on the **High Street.  Their clothing lines were always dependable and good quality but recently have become a bit **naff (see below).  Their food however has become their strong point.  Much of it is pre-prepared meals that are fresh and excellent quality or desserts that are to die for.


Naff--M&S style
**Naff ~ It's origin is an acronym that is a bit crude so I won't repeat it but it's come to mean bad taste, lacking in style, or worthless.

**The High Street ~ Comparable to Main Street in the United States.  In Britain it's the generic name for the business or shopping street--Boots, M&S, Smith's, and Next are all typical High Street shops.

1 comment:

  1. Everyone needs days like this. I am absolutely full out in love with your summer house. And I would be just like you in it most times of the year for reading or a rainstorm. I might even take a hot water bottle and a cozy quilt or 3 and a pot of tea when it's cold. Thanks for the glossary. I wasn't familiar with you acronym but it made me laugh

    ReplyDelete