There is an emanation from the heart

which cannot be described,

but is immediately felt and puts

the stranger at his ease.

~Washington Irving


Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life.
It turns what we have into enough...

.........and more.

It turns denial into acceptance,
chaos to order, confusion to clarity.

It can turn a meal into a feast,

a house into a home,

a stranger into a friend.

~Melody Beattie


Don't be satisfied with stories,

how things have gone with others.

Unfold your own myth.
~Rumi


May my life be like a great

hospitable tree, and may

weary wanderers find in

me a rest.

~John Henry Jowett


Tuesday, 1 March 2011

HAPPY ST. DAVID'S DAY


Today is St. David's Day, which commemorates the patron saint of Wales, in Welsh, Dewi Sant.  It's customary on March 1st to wear a small daffodil or leek, which represent Wales, but the daffodil is a little bit more celebratory than a leek.

A few years ago I was lucky enough to be in Wales on St. David's Day and was in awe of not only the beauty of the daffodils in bloom, but also by the sheer number of them.  They were everywhere.  I began the trip by taking pictures of them, but early on I realized I couldn't keep up and I'd end up with 2000 pictures of daffodils.  They were blooming on roadsides, on the banks alongside the sea and in parking lots.  They dotted village greens, were outside pubs and of course in peoples gardens.

Daffodils are prolific in England too, although not on the Welsh scale.  They grow wild as well as in gardens.  I've always wondered who planted the wild ones along the roadsides, mile after mile.  I picture little Miss Marples in their woolen skirts and sensible shoes diligently planting bulb after bulb--a little grey-haired road crew.  In any case I'm awfully glad they are everywhere and in Britain at least, they are the best harbinger of spring there is.

1 comment:

  1. I hated that this post had no comment... so I fixed it:) What a beautiful picture and I learned something too. Thank you

    ReplyDelete